Friday, October 06, 2006

Gay is Culture

"Do you even like Britney Spears?," he asks.
"She is annoying most of the time. Except when I am drunk on the dance floor."
"She is my guilty pleasure," he replies.

He is my dental hygenist. I see him about twice a year in which most of the time his hands are poking at the teeth inside my mouth. Conversation rarely occurrs.

"I wish I had tickets to Barbara Streisand. God I love her!" I gush.
"I have never been a big fan. I mean, she is a great vocalist, but she is just not my style. I am more of a Madonna fan."

This is what always happens. I sit in the dentist's chair and he comments on whatever is on the tv. He prefers MuchMusic or MTV. In the moments his hands are not in mouth, I response to his pop music commentary.

"I went to see Madonna in New York." he tells me.
"Wasn't that during New York City Pride?" I ask.
"It was the week before I think. I can't remember."

I know very little about this man. The relationship between dental hygenist and patient remains elusive. Yet, his hands are in my mouth.

"Do you ever go to DanceCamp at Fly Nightclub?" he asks.
"I am more of Buddies man myself."

I know very little about this man. Yet, I know he is gay. I do not know if he sleeps with men. I assume he does, but that does not mean it is a fact. What I do know is that he loves Madonna, has a critical opinion of Babs, is aware of Pride, and frequents gay nightclubs. These facts do not tell the sexual preference of my dental hygenist. It is possible that many men whom engage sexually with women loves Madonna, has a critical opinion of Babs, is aware of Pride, and frequents gay nightclubs. What I do know is that my dental hygenist is gay. Not gay sexually, but gay culturally.

In an age of fluid sexuality, the homosexual is dead. Men who sleep with men at one moment are fucking and marrying women the next. But no matter who they are fucking at any given time, if they liked Madonna before they probably still do today.

Gay is not sex.
Gay is culture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just because "gay is culture" does not necessitate that the "homosexual" is dead. There may be fluid sexuality today but there's no reason to believe this is a recent phenominon. The "homosexual" is as much a fact of life as ever. Trust me, homos are alive and well and living in London.

dancing girl said...

back to the greeks. . .

bedroomprince said...

The homosexual was a creation of the medical authorities to describe an inner sexual drive of an individual that was clearly defined by an attraction to members of the individual's same gender. This definition of the homosexual no longer has any clout seeing that as free and rational thinking and feeling human beings, we are not tied to any inner identity, be it a identity defined by an inner sexual drive, gender, or even just plain fashion sense. Gay though is cultural, and those you participate in gay culture, and continue to entrench it's place in the social landscape, keep "gay" alive and fucking.