Friday, January 26, 2007

This Is An Outlet of Expression

There is no reason for me to write this. I find no need.

Over the past months I have been privileged with other means of artistic expression. My thoughts manifest themselves in the world through other outlets.

Is it not the medium that matters, but the act? The act of art? The act of creating?

Is the medium merely the craft? The craft being an act that requires a certain skill set to accomplish. I am competent at the craft of writing - the craft of sequencing words in order to communicate thoughts and ideas. I am also competent at the craft of theatre - the craft of telling a story through dialogue, movement, music, sets, and costumes upon a stage. Is art that which exceeds craft? Is art the act of expression, regardless of the medium?

Yet this lonely Friday night the only company I have is words. No theatre. No dance. And I don't know how to paint.

There is no need for me to write this. Other outlets of expression await me tomorrow. The day after. If I am patient...

The honest truth is that I am not patient. So I write.

There is a need for this. I have found it.

4 comments:

skinny-rabbit said...

I like it when you blog. It gives me ideas. Do it more often.

The ArtofBeingMe said...

i agree.

and i do think that your craft is, indeed, your art. You are artistic. Your expression through your craft is artistic. It encourages others to think and feel.

That is why I love reading your writing. That is why i can't wait to see 'Nine'.

Anonymous said...

De profundis, in deed.

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

I'm sure the answer is yes, but have you read The Picture of Dorian Gray? the intro about art is right up your alley and I thought about you while reading it.