Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Perils of Writing OR That's Not What I Meant

Even though the words of my latest blog, "Not Corporately Recognized", were my own. Even though I apparently clearly laid out certain circumstances of my own life accurately through language. Even though I shared my disappointment with not having my relationship recognized by a corporation, that last blog didn't seem to communicate what I really met.

Of course there is a special bond between mother and son, one that I hope will never be disrupted between my mother and I, and one I hope I will never disrupt between anyone and their mother. I just wanted to note how, in our uber capitalist and consumer world, corporate recognition matters along with other more personal forms of relationship recognition, such as committments and acts of affection.

Yet, no one who has responded to my blog seemed to have interpreted it that way. I thought it was clear: I didn't finish the post with a comment about his mother, but about my (non-existent) presence on his corporate phone account. Yet, that was not enough to communicate the intended meaning.

Do you get what I'm trying to say here? If you don't, just call me, and we can get together and I can explain it to you in person. It's easier that way.

So, I hope that I have been succesfull in communicating the meaning of this blog to you. That meaning being that it is difficult to communicate meaning through the written word, because the written word is open to interpretation.

4 comments:

karlbaldauf said...

You need an umlaut to spell "uber".

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

well, having said all that, you should know that what we comment might a)only refer to one tiny part of your blog and b)might be misunderstood too.

I love you!

Lindsay said...

you're just annoyed because we said that karl was right :)

skinny-rabbit said...

Maybe you can explain this all to me in person on July 4th. I've arranged for a bunch of fireworks to go off in various locations around the United States of America on that date in honour of this particular discussion that I look forward to having with you.