Friday, September 21, 2007

A Failure at Capitalism

I have money to spend. So I have been shopping. There are always so many things to buy. There are always so many things you can convince yourself you need. With some disposable cash in your pocket it seems that there are infinite possibilities. Shopping soon kills these infinite possiblities. Five minutes in any store soon proves how limited my resources are.

There are so many things I want. There are so many things I want to convince myself I need. But I can't. I am forced to be selective. I have to carefully choose the items that I want inspire my act of self-persuasion. Do I want a new bag or new shoes? I really don't need either, but I want to need both. No matter what, I will ultimately end up not getting what I want, and only buying what I need.

Shopping isn't fun. Shopping only shows me how much I don't have and can't afford to buy.

I have money to spend. But never enough. I hate shopping.

5 comments:

skinny-rabbit said...

We feel very differently about shopping.

artsmonkey said...

this is why i only shop spontaneously. shopping just isn't enough.

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

let's just forget all this and be rich once and for all.

dancing girl said...

my credit cards have made this experience both better and worse.

Anonymous said...

I have heard a wealthy man describe shopping. He was telling me about buying his fifth car, another sportscar.

He needed nothing. His desires had mostly been met. What I sensed he longed for was an unmet need, an unsatiated desire. With every purchase, he was getting closer to empty.

Don't sweat not having enough money for everything you'd like. The reverse feels worse.