Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Scene In Time

Go.

I am running, almost out of breath. Don't want to miss my flight. Running. Keep running.
Out of breath.
Stop.
I read the screen listing arrivals, departures. Gone.
I missed my departure.

No where to go. Now where to go? Now. Here.

"Stephen! Stephen!". I hear a voice from across the airport. My lover.

I cringe. Exhale.

"Stephen."

I turn to see a bright face. The face of my lover happy not to have missed me: Happy to see me before I go.

"Stephen! Happy Birthday!"

"It was yesterday," I say with an echo of empty disappointment.

The way regret reflected in his sad eyes.

I shake my head. "No. I don't love you anymore."

Now there is nothing left.

A force hits his lover in the back of the knees, knocking him back, into the air. His lover is flying. "I am flying", his lover thinks to himself in the instant before he makes the discovery of an inevitable result of his flight. "This is going to hurt."

There is a crash. Something is broken.

He still has nothing left but to go.

No comments: