Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Wake Up Call

I rolled over, opened my eyes to look at the digital clock next to my bed. My biological ticker usually was good at getting me to wake moments before my alarm was to go off. At the point that my body feels it has slept for too long and that I had other things to do, it usually steps in a takes over. My natural instincts are to wake up just before my alarm forces me to deal with the day. Most days my biological clock jumps the gun and wakes me a little early. Not today... Today all three of my alarm clocks failed, for reasons unknown to me.
This was an alarming alarm I couldn't ignore.
This exemplifies the lack of control or structure there is in my life. I am too eager to go on a whim and pass up the other responsibilities that I have taken on in my life. I am too social. I am too spontaneous. I need to step back, organize what needs to be done, set out the time I am to do it, write all that down the day planner I purchased months ago but haven't used since three days after I got it.
I can do well at school, I can do well at work, I can do well with my art, if I just bare down and put the effort in. I must be as committed to my life as I expect my life to be committed to me: If I want anything out of my time I have to put something into my time.
I will not deny that some of my experiences as a result of flighty spontaneaity have been incredible. But not it is time to take time for these other experiences that I have deemed valuable and worthwhile. If they are worth the while I should give them the while they deserve.
My alarms did not go off this morning, but I definately have heard the wake up call.

No comments: