Monday, June 26, 2006

The European Experience # 73

Most of the time I have know idea what is happening around here.

This is a product of having a rudimentary ability to comprehend and speak the language.

Being in an environment in which there is a 'language barrier' I find myself in a similar position as an infant. I know what I want to communicate to others, but I do not have the capacity to express my needs in a language that will be understood by my intended audience. It would be false to assert that I am achieving the status of a pre-linguistic self. I have acquired a 'language', just not language that functions where I currently reside. I do though experience the frustration of not being understood, which, I imagine is similar to that of a baby.

Nonetheless, there are benefits to the aforementioned 'language barrier'.

When you don't know what is happening, it is amazing to discover what does.

No comments: