Tuesday, January 24, 2006

17 Words For Love, But It's All Greek to Me

"I don't think anyone HAS to say anything. And what does it mean anyways? I say it to my mom. I say it to my cat. How can it mean the same thing when I say it to you? The Greeks have it right, they have seventeen different words for love." he tells his girlfriend after she demanded that he reciprocate her emotional articulations.

------------------------------------------------------

Why is it that those three words seem to mean so much?

Are the acts of love more meaningful than the words of love?

Why do we need "I Love You" when we know it to be true when our lover gives us the last piece of the Chocolate Bar, or offers a massage when we are sore, or sends a postcard, or goes down on us without asking for reciprocation?

Do not actions speak louder than words?
(Or is "I Love You" the anomaly?)

Maybe the Greeks have it right?

What are those seventeen words anyway?

(It sure beats the Inuit. They have something like 70 words for snow!)

No comments: