Sunday, January 22, 2006

Buddies Is Good Times

"Since You've Been Gone" or "Hollaback Girl" or anything by Madonna or Britney is heard. The crowd screams. Their arms are thrown in the air and, if the music wasn't so loud, you would be able to hear all the voices in a drunken unison singing all the words as loud as they can. In this case, at this moment, the DJ is blasting "Since You've Been Gone", a Kelly Clarkson classic. Andrew and I hold our palms parallel to the floor and monitor the bouncing crowd, moving our hands up and down when the mob jumps. It seems, in this drunken Dionysian euphoric state, the world is dancing and singing in unison.
This is the Buddies in Bad Times Experience.
Andrew and I, in a mockingly sarcastic tone, make up dances, reminiscent of a pop culture sign language, to the shallow and vapid lyrics of the top forty tunes. It is ridiculous and makes us laugh. The music is basic, and so are our dance moves. Anything extrenuous is irrelevant.
This is the Buddies in Bad Times Experience.
Anthony Collins is making conversation with me. I think he may be hitting on me. It is cordial, clever, and entertaining. I am flattered. I can not sleep with him because he had dated, broken up with, and is currently not talking to the American I am having intimate relations with. It is ultimately harmless. He will not be upset when I go home without him. Even the drama is worthwhile and frivolous.
This is the Buddies in Bad Times Experience.
The Top Five Moments of the Night: (decided between Andrew and I)
1) The man's breath who smelt like a racoon who had died upon a pile of hot hot hot garbage comprised of rotten milk from a dead woman's breast.
2) "Your hair is like Michael Hutchens from INXS. And Richard Simmons." (This tranlates to "You are so hot. AND not hot!")
3) We performed "Since You've Been Gone" as if a dramatic monologue. As we spoke the lyrics we mimed dowsing our exes apartment in gasoline before lighting it afire. The music highlighted the gasoline being poured from a can, the wee little explosions that occurred after we dropped the lighter, and the exit from the burning apartment building.
4) I can't remember what #4 is.
5) "What's with this good music?" As we check our coats, I am annoyed that they are playing good music while I do not have the opportunity to dance. The coat check women interprets it as if I am surprised they are playing good music at all.
This is the Buddies in Bad Times experience.
Frivolous. Long Lines. Guest Lists. Vapid. Peter Knegt. Witty. Physical. Hot. Ridiculous. Pop Culture. Andrew Kushnir. Good Times.
This is the Buddies in Bad Times experience.

No comments: