Saturday, February 04, 2006

Critical of Criticism

I am a critical person. I think it is important to be critical. It nurtures thought and the intellect. I think many people think that criticism is negative.
As an artist, I am especially critical of work in my discipline. Often, I happen to be very critical of works of colleagues and friends. . I feel that if they heard how I talk about their work and what I say about their work that they would be offended. I am sorry for them because I do not mean to offend. My aim in being critical of the art and theatre I see, is to continually clarify my own creative voice. How do I see art? What do I think art should do? In what ways would I execute a project? I am not critical to "put down" other artistic endeavours and other artists. Art in itself is valuable. My criticism will not change that. My criticism is to articulate and understand my reactions and understandings of the art I am exposed to.
Please understand this. I hope you are as critical of my work as I am of yours. I hope that my work influences and clarifies your artistic voice as much as yours has done for me.
I thank you for the opportunity for criticism.
I am also very critical of myself.
For example: This was a badly written, badly structures, badly executed blog post.

1 comment:

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

I wish you had said something like "they just need to live in it." what does that mean?