Monday, February 06, 2006

An Email: An Effort

To: ciao_anthony@hotmail.com
Subject: An Effort

This takes effort. It does not come conveniently. I could wait patiently until you happened to be online the same time I was, but that's safe. Or it could come to pass by mere happenstance. It could be coincidence that we just happened to log in around the same time. No. It would not be an active act, but one born of passivity. It would not take effort. It would be too convenient. I would rather take the time, and thought, and effort, and put myself on the line, possibly making myself seem too eager or anxious, by writing you an email.
Unprompted. Unasked for. Unexpected.
Romance isn't dead. Romance merely requires effort. Romance requires breaking free of the convenience of our modern methods of communication, of thinking, of living. If I had your address I would write you a letter. Email is the best I've got.
I had thought about calling, but it is late and I wouldn't want to wake you.
But I needed to say something to you. To let you know that you have sparked more than my interest. But the desire to take the time, and thought, and effort to let you know that I have thought about you today. More than once.
If I manage to spark even merely your interest, you can call me anytime.

Yours truly,
Stephen

No comments: